Saturday, July 14, 2007

Trying not to be a cheeseball, although I do love cheese...

I just wanted to take a second here and highlight two blogs that I really feel have changed my life. Honestly.

In my everyday life, I try to work on the goal of surrounding myself with people and writings, and/or art that inspire me and push me to be a better person, think differently, act differently, be responsible. I am so incredibly inspired by so many people... my friends, my family, my community at church. There is just so much to learn from them, and I love that.

I read in a book once that a person can probably look at his/her bookshelf filled with favorite books and recall what was going on in their life at that time and how a particular book changed them. Now, I am a library person,(
one of my two favorite places to be, the other is the grocery store. Ah, love to read and eat!) but I do purchase the books that I need to be present in my house. They remind me to not forget those lessons I learned. If I do start to forget, they are waiting there as a friendly reference.


I wish I had these blogs in hard copy and not just on the computer, to put on my bookshelf. These two blogs have just floored me regarding China and adoption. Even if you are not interested in China, or adoption, I believe they serve as a powerful testimony to the power of one person, of love and compassion and of, "doing".

They are:

http://chinesestarfish.blogspot.com/

This is the blog of a South African woman who decided to start her own fostering center in China. She takes in babies that have special needs and then arranges their surgeries, etc. so that they will have an increased chance of getting adopted. This woman is amazing. We have spoken over email a few times. Yes, she finds time to email as well. I am hoping to be able to arrange a visit to see her, although I don't know if time will allow it.

and

http://lwbchinablog.blogspot.com/

Started by a few volunteers, this group provides surgeries, medical care, schooling, and foster families to the orphaned children in China. Check it out.

In a time where all the news is either about the war or Paris Hilton, these blogs are incredibly refreshing.

Let me know what you think.
Kate

No comments: