Sunday, August 26, 2007

"Oh yes, he is good...big eater"-Judy

For those of you that are keeping track, we get Kai today. Yesterday we flew into Guangzhou and met our new guide, Judy. I felt a bit apprehensive about meeting our new guide. Catherine, our guide in Beijing, was just so amazing and sweet and funny. Could we get that lucky again? I had read blogs where people got sort of annoyed with their guides...

Judy met us at baggage claim. She was a little quiet at first, but then once we got in the car we started talking more. And here is the total highlight and wonderful blessing for me so far...We started asking her questions about Kai. Did she know anything about him? "Oh yes," she said. "I go to that orphanage often. Very good, one of my favorites, small. Nanny's good to the children, not many children." Then we asked how he was doing and she immediately laughed and said, " Oh yes, he is good...big eater." Dad, I couldn't help but think of you. Did God pick the right kid for our family or what? Anyway, then she told us a bit more about the kids there. She said that the children at this orphanage are very energetic and clever. " They have much humor." is also what she said. I felt that her knowing of the orphanage and that she has seen him, just last week as a matter of fact, created such a huge sense of relief for us. I cannot believe our luck that our guide just happens to be the one that visits Kai's orphanage and often works with the staff there. Actually, I do not believe it is luck, I believe this is a direct result of all the prayers you are all saying for us.

We meet Kai in just a few hours as I write this. I felt like I would be super nervous or so excited that I would puke, but right now I feel very calm and it just feels good and right. Josh and I went to workout this morning at the hotel's gym, very nice. I couldn't help but think, before we had Elizabeth I took a nap, (the epidural was taking effect and I felt no pain, natural labor is for the birds!) now before we have Kai, I am working out. I wonder if that will be an indicator of how it will be like to parent them as well? Who knows? Just kind of a funny thought. Ok, one more funny random thought, while we were working out, a few people came in to workout as well. One woman, not American I don't think, was running on the treadmill holding her "chest" shall we say the whole time. I just thought that was sort of interesting. Who needs a sports bra anyway? Ok, again, not at all important, but interesting...

Other neat people that we saw today, an older couple dancing in the middle of this park, a set of little children, from a school I believe, all in uniform, out for their morning walk. I think these kids were about 3 years old, a young man who stopped us on the street to speak with us and practice his English, "Excuse me sir, do you mind if I practice my English with you." He is studying computers and wants to go to the States.

Guangzhou has a population of 15 million people! The drive from the airport to the hotel was eye-opening. For miles and miles all your can see are high rise apartment buildings. It is like nothing either Josh or I have ever seen before, even in Chicago. Our guide said that in 2003 the population was 12 million. She said there are a lot of jobs here and people get paid much more. In the small towns you can get about 80 American dollars a month, in Guangzhou, you can expect to make 800-1,000 per month. And you receive raises after you accumulate experience, in a surrounding town you can work 5 years with no raise.

I am so surprised by how much we love it here. Not that I thought I would NOT like it, but I truly love it. The people are just beautiful, the customer service is amazing no matter where you go, there is so much here that I want to see and learn more about. It makes me want to go and live in another country. If we like China this much, what other places around the world are there also many lessons to learn and people to see? I have never thought of myself as a good traveler at all, but we seem to be doing so well together. Josh and I are a good team.

Last night we went out to eat at a Thai restaurant. It was SOOOOOOO yummy! We are trying to taste new and different things each day. I was actually so proud of myself yesterday, as I had Chinese noodles for breakfast. It sounded good to me, and that is what they eat here for breakfast. Anyway, we really enjoyed dinner last night. When we arrived the place was empty, but then literally the entire place filled with a group of adoptive families. A good 100 people. Everywhere you look there are families with little baby girls. I haven't seen any boys yet. So we will be the special ones. I also haven't seen many older children either.

So, our guide, Judy is going to take us to get a USB cord today as long as Kai is doing ok. Oh, and she also said that when we go visit the orphanage we can take all the kids snacks and some toys if we want, so we are also going to go to a toy market before our visit there. I am so excited to see where Kai has lived all this time. Plus, since the orphanage is really small, I think we will be able to see most of it.

Also, I want to just thank everyone for all the praying for us you have done. I believe without a doubt that your prayers are being felt and that is why we are feeling so good and happy and loving this trip so much. We honestly feel like such a blessed couple. We are hoping that Kai (Lun, Lun) pronounced like loon loon, does ok with meeting us. Getting ready this morning I told Josh I feel like I am going on a first date with someone.

Ok, next time we write we will have more to tell you about our little boy!

We love you guys!

Kate and Josh

ps- Jenny, we got your message, you are the best sister ever! I love you and we'll talk to you soon! Ann and Harry-Sorry we missed you guys too. Sounds like you are having fun. We love you! Mom and Dad, we'll talk to you soon. And our beautiful girl Elizabeth, we are missing you like crazy. We have found many little things that you will like that we will bring home to you sweet pea. I hear you are having a great time. We love you around the world and back. "Your my little, your my little, your my little girl...." Remember how that song goes? I'll sing it to you when we get home! Have tons of fun! We know you are!

No comments: